Monday, January 5, 2009

How important is it to girls that they feel beautiful?

Because if it is really important that would be a major source of insecurity right? And if it is a source of insecurity, then oh boy, that is not good.

I am convinced that every spiritual problem goes back in some way to insecurity. I am actually writing a book about it. I just don't really want to start yet because I don't have a solution to the problem, ya know, to end the book with.

I know that I want to be pretty. I know that sometimes I feel ugly. Sometimes I feel ugly spiritually, other times physically, and other times in my attitude. But, really, what are a Christian girl's two biggest struggles? Finding God and finding a husband. Well, I think beauty has a lot to do with both of those.

I think there are obvious reasons for beauty in relation to love in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. But I want to be pretty for God too. I want to dress up for Him and smile and be joyful around Him.

I just was thinking about Disciple Now and Jonah and insecurity and honesty. Because those are the two biggest points in my life from the Jonah story. Admitting the areas I am insecure in and being honest enough to say how I really feel. I think a lot of girls struggle with feeling like they are drowning in an ocean of ugliness, unworthiness, loser-ness, and school. Well, I always hated school anyway. Ha ha. I really want the girls to feel like they can be honest with each other though.

I want them to say to each other, "Hey, it is really ugly to talk about other girls in a negative way." "It is not cool to smoke pot." "It is wrong to cheat on your boyfriend."

I am ready and I think God is ready for us to hold each other accountable. As Benji worded it "to be under an umbrella of accountability." There is no need for secret sister prayer partner accountability. There is need for being open, honest, and "real." I got really tired of the whole "wearing a mask" lessons for a while but now its kind of coming back up. Except, the surprise is, no one is wearing a mask. Everyone knows what everyone is doing but no one will stand up for the ones who are doing what is right. And no one will lovingly confront the ones who are doing what is wrong.

And I think when we can be honest. Then we can be really pretty. Lies make people ugly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay. I was gonna comment but I ended up typing like 55 paragraphs, so I decided to just blog it.

Chuck said...

As promised, I responded on my blog. I doubt it will help with your solution, but maybe you can help girls understand that it's not always their fault.


Some guys, even Christian ones, are just jerks.